1. Entertainment
Mark Flanagan

Rowling to Read from Harry Potter 7

By May 26, 2007

At Midnight on July 21, J.K. Rowling will give a reading from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The reading will be attended by by 500 randomly selected fans, all of whom will also receive a free signed copy of the book.

The event will take place at the National History Museum in London and is sponsored by Bloomsbuy and Scholastic publishing houses who publishing the Harry Potter books in the U.K. and U.S. respectively. Seven U.S. fans can enter to win round-trip tickets to London and hotel accomodations.

Find out more at Bloomsbury.com and Scholastic.com.

Reviews of Harry Potter 1 - 6

Comments

May 28, 2007 at 8:49 am
(1) kwthoma says:

No Way. Ain’t going to happen! There’s no way the book could be read silently in that amount of time, so the verbal reading would take like 12 – 15 hours… this is misinformation. Wait til jo (the author) reads this one!

May 28, 2007 at 10:55 am
(2) contemporarylit says:

Good point!

June 4, 2007 at 9:17 am
(3) AudioBookWorm says:

HP & Order of Phoenix (766 pp) read by S. Fry lasted 28.78hrs, HP & Half Blood Prince (607 pp, read by S. Fry) was almost 21 hrs so more likely it would last 20+ hours!

June 10, 2007 at 8:33 pm
(4) Ethveg says:

Yes – an error which should have been Wiki’ed. A RELIABLE “guide” would have posted these comments below his error (or changed the error.

Mark, what’s your source! I haven’t seen that claim anywhere else (and when your DH page shows up in a Google result, it includes that statement, so it’s being seen by lots of us.)

From the U.S. side, 4 and 6 (GoF & HBP) both took 17 CD’s for Jim Dale to record.

HBP is also 17 CD’s.

The playing times for GoF and HBP are reported as about 21 hours and 19 hours respectively, so the estimate above based on the UK recordings is replicated.

Perhaps our “guide”, covering, I assume, “all” contemporary lit, doesn’t know much about the Potter series and so ASS-U-ME-d that if the reading of a “children’s book” went from midnight to dawn the entire book must be being read.

June 11, 2007 at 11:34 am
(5) contemporarylit says:

Ethveg – In the interest of not spreading disinformation, I’ve already removed the offending sentence. My source was a Yahoo article which I believe came from Reuters, and it appears that they too have removed the error.

You’re harsh, Ethveg… I have read the Harry Potter books, and I love the series! Not catching that error was just a mistake. Forgive me.

Mark

June 12, 2007 at 11:18 am
(6) Martha says:

The article still says: “in its entirety.”